Make a barbecued chicken recipe in a paper bag! It is easy, delicious and clean up is as simple as throwing away the bag.This vintage recipe for chicken in a bag is from an old Louisville Courier-Journal article published August 16, 1963. The chicken recipe is baked slowly in the oven, inside a greased paper bag. Cooking in the bag makes the chicken tender and juicy. This vintage recipe was conceived before the crockpot had been invented. You could probably cook this in the crockpot with similar results, but I have not yet tried it. If anyone does, I hope they will come back and leave a comment so we know how it turned out! This is an easy recipe. Just do not forget to turn the oven down!
Chicken in a Bag
This recipe makes a barbecue sauce for 3 pound of chicken pieces.
•3 tablespoons catsup
•2 tablespoons vinegar
•1 tablespoon lemon juice
•2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
•4 tablespoons water
•2 tablespoons butter
•3 tablespoons brown sugar
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon mustard (dry or prepared)
•1 teaspoon chili powder
•1 teaspoon paprika
•1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. To make sauce, combine all of these ingredients in a medium saucepan, and heat to allow flavors to blend.
2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Grease the inside of a brown paper bag (medium size) and place in a roasting pan. If you do not have a paper bag, you may use aluminum foil.
4. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste. Then dip each piece in the sauce and place into the paper bag.
5. After all of the chicken is in the bag, pour any remaining sauce into the bag over the chicken pieces.
6. Close the bag carefully with a double fold and fasten with paper clips to prevent the sauce from leaking out.
7. Put the lid on the roasting pan and put into the oven.
8. After baking 15 minutes at 500 degrees, lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake another hour and 15 minutes.
9. Keep bag closed tightly throughout the cooking process
ENJOY!!!! We sure did!! Thanks Jen another winner!!!